Monday, January 2, 2017

Rusty Bolts Fear Me!

On Thursday, 12/29/16, We took the bugshot right hand sill of the wagon box to Woodcrafters in Portland, to have it, and the five floorboards, duplicated.

I could not help but think that even though I had thoroughly stabbed the left hand sill, looking for bug damage, I had missed something.

And I had.  I was able to chip some wood away on the edge of the sill, adjacent to the floorboard.

I was concerned enough that I called Woodcrafters to leave a message asking for a mirror image of the right sill.

But my chisel wasn't going in very far and I wondered...which prioritized the removal of the left sidewall, and then the sill.  The picture above is all that remains of my wagon box!  A few floorboards, and some crossbeams!



After really digging and prodding, all I came up with was some very shallow excavation in a confined area.  I'm going to repair it and re-use the board.

In the meantime, I have removed the last of the nuts and screws and all the hardware.  Most of the remaining repair work is cosmetic, until the new floorboards and right sill arrive!  This is the edge of the sill that faces inward toward the floorboards.  The larger area is the upper surface (where your feet would rest), and the deepest part goes in about 1/4".





Update 1/2/2017...



I carried through with my decisioin to salvage the left sill, and here it is, reinstalled.

















This is the area where the main edge damage occurred. The end of the board is the front of the wagon.

















Prior to re-installation of the sill, it was necessary to clean up and do some end-grain crack repairs to these pretty crossbeam ends.  A pretty iron brace goes from this piece to the side wall on the exterior of the wagon...










This is the center one on the same side.  It was pretty much perfect.  I will have similar repairs on the right side.












The front vertical panel has been relieved of end splits and minor blemishes...

(The ends of this panel are covered by sheet metal plates.)
















And finally!  The left side vertical panel has come in for end split repairs and blemish removal.

All that's left now is to finish up some of the metal work while awaiting the new wood!

































No comments:

Post a Comment